“I am committed to supporting my patients in making treatment decisions that will achieve the best outcomes. I pride myself in listening to the concerns of my patients and their family, supporting them to make well-informed decisions that are evidence-based.”
Dr Karmen Wong
Dr Karmen Wong is a medical oncologist with more than 30 years of clinical practice. She received her oncology training at the National University Hospital (NUH), National Cancer Centre, Singapore (NCC) and University of California, San Francisco (UCSF), who have a reputation for health sciences research and patient care under the HMDP scholarship.
She helped establish the first multi-disciplinary breast cancer treatment in Singapore 20 years ago in NCC, which created a platform for treatment in other cancer types with doctors of different disciplines. Dr Wong also initiated the bone marrow transplant programme in solid tumour in Singapore General Hospital (SGH) in 1997. She also won an award for her oral presentation at the 9th Annual Scientific Meeting in SGH in 1988. She is also currently running a strong cancer support network in her practice. In addition, she is also a co-investigator in various clinical trials on new cancer treatments. These include the CompLEEment-1 trial study that were presented in ASCO 2019 (American Society of Medical Oncology) and ESMO 2018 (European Society for Medical Oncology) meetings.
Dr Wong presented the 1st Asian study in attitudes towards breast cancer treatment among Asian patients in the Annual Meeting of the American Society of Clinical Oncology in 1999. She has also written numerous peer review articles and published chapters in textbooks. She also gives lectures in the ASEAN regions on cancer treatment updates.
Dr Karmen Wong accepts referrals for all cancer types, with a special clinical interest in breast, gastrointestinal and gynaecological cancers.
Case Studies & Talks
Affiliations & Memberships
- Member of the Royal College of Physician (UK) 1990
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physician (Glasgow) 2008
- Granted the status of Fellow to the Academy of Medicine in Singapore in 1994
- Certified with the Singapore Medical Council, the Medical Board of South Australia, the Medical Board of Victoria (Australia), General Medical Council of UK and the Hong Kong Medical Council
- Member of the American Society of Medical Oncology, the Singapore Oncology Society
- Specialist accreditation in Medical Oncology with the Singapore Ministry of Health
- Member of the International Breast Cancer Study Group
- Committee member of Breast Cancer Foundation, Singapore