Dietitians are experts in nutrition who specialise in the ways diet can impact your health. Ensuring that you have good nutrition during cancer treatment can help you manage certain side effects, such as nausea or weight loss, and maintain energy throughout the day. Dietitians work with you to make sure that what you are eating meets your recommended nutritional intake while you receive cancer treatment.
Evidence shows that receiving support from a dietitian early in your cancer diagnosis can help to:
- Sustain your physical strength and body function
- Decrease your risk of complications
- Reduce your length of stay in the hospital
- Improve your response to treatment
- Improve your quality of life
Throughout your cancer treatment, a dietitian can support you with the following services:
- Support on how to manage specific dietary problems as a result of cancer and/or the cancer treatment (e.g. loss of appetite, sore or dry mouth, taste changes, weight loss, nausea and vomiting, changes in bowel habits and weight gain)
- Practical information on suitable foods to eat and food consistency, portion sizes and meal patterns to help support you and your loved one during and after treatment
- Fatigue minimisation strategies and advice regarding where to buy the right foods, and cooking and recipe ideas
- Information and support with tube feeding and oral nutritional supplements
Even after you have finished your cancer treatment, dietitians can provide nutrition counselling, information and support on how to maintain a healthy diet and reduce your risk of the cancer returning.
At Icon Cancer Centre Singapore we support patients to access allied health services including dietitians and physiotherapists, both at our centres or through telemedicine. Ask your doctor for a referral to book your appointment with our visiting oncology dietitian.