Receiving a cancer diagnosis as a young adult can come as a shock. Suddenly your world completely changes! Your plans for school, work and holidays all are now on hold! The cancer diagnosis can be difficult to understand and cope with at what is often an exciting and changing time in your life. You may be fearful of what comes next, what the treatment will be like, and how it will affect you, your appearance and your ability to go about your day to day life. It is important to rely on the support of your friends, family and loved ones during this difficult time. They can help you make decisions about your health and treatment and will be there for you every step of the way, together with your care team at Icon.
Help for young adults
Advice and support to cope with a cancer diagnosis as a young adult
Strategies to help you cope with a cancer diagnosis
Everyone copes with a cancer diagnosis differently. Some tips that might help you during your diagnosis and treatment include:
- Learning more about your cancer – We encourage you to ask questions during your doctor’s appointments and speak to your care team about where to find reliable online information
- Connect with a support group or speak to other young adults with cancer – Ask your care team who can help guide you
- Ask for support – Your care team can connect you and your family with allied health professionals such as psychologists and counsellors
- Talk about your feelings with people you trust – They could be your closest friends, siblings or other patients you meet during treatment
- Take care of your physical wellbeing – Exercise and a balanced diet can help you stay as healthy as possible throughout your treatment
Support at Icon
At Icon, we are here to support you every step of the way. Please don’t hesitate to talk to your care team at any point during your time with us if you require additional help or advice and we will connect you with the support you need.
Making an appointment
Make an appointment with our compassionate and friendly team to start your journey with Icon Cancer Centre Singapore.Make an appointment
Learn more about the different cancers that are common in Singaporean children, adolescents and young adults.Learn more
Learn more about cancer treatments for childhood cancer, including chemotherapy and radiation therapy.Learn more